Product Design & Development Lead
May 2020 – present
Changing the way work gets done in STARS Analytics.
University of Louisville
Leading students in an investigation of the design process within the context of designing for human interaction. Advanced problems in designing for screen within the context of user experience, user interface, and interaction through screens, movement, and a variety of dynamic graphic displays exploring story mapping and narrative as vehicles.
Senior Product Manager
October 2018 – February 2020
Leading highly-motivated UX practitioners, visual designers, and developers to discover and craft digital experiences for a diverse range of clients:
● Creating and delivering on customer discovery strategy for a local startup focused on the construction industry in order to hone their value proposition and develop a visionary prototype to garner investor interest.
● Guiding the digital transformation efforts of a large entrenched airline solution company to allow for nimbler response time to an industry in an increasing state of flux and create products that meet and exceed expectations of a demanding customer base.
● Embedding in the IT department of an electric utility in order to uncover customer-facing opportunities that can lead to new digital product offerings and deliver on company-wide satisfaction goals.
Product Design & Development Lead
October 2015 – October 2018
July 2018 – October 2018
Stood up and lead projects that operationalize experience-driven work streams for a platform serving 10,000 users and four lines of business.
Transformation Service Experience Consultant | Resolut1on Team
October 2017 – July 2018
The ability to dig deep on a wide range of complex issues in this heavily regulated environment created a high demand for my services across strategic IT-related efforts as Humana transforms from an insurer to a data-driven wellness partner. Best described as a catalyst, I sought out and addressed issues that can stall or sink a project, ranging from lack of strategy to team dysfunction.
Senior Product Designer | Digital Experience Center (DEC)
October 2015 – October 2017
The DEC was Humana’s incubator utilizing lean and agile software development methodologies to rapidly bring products to market. The Minimum Viable Product approach calls for a constant testing loop between prototypes and end users to validate ideas and assumptions and make necessary pivots throughout development. This fast-paced environment requires multi-disciplinary, highly-driven team members to work literally side-by-side through the project lifecycle.
Senior User Experience Consultant
December 2013 – September 2015
Focused on product teams that were not only recent acquisitions by Blackbaud, but also new to agile software development and the UX process. This unique opportunity flexed my mental and communication muscles to guide the teams toward a vision for each product based on solid customer focus and rooted in data driven analytics. Activities ranged from customer discovery to final feature release, including but not limited to:
● Define strategy and MVP for a new product, Blackbaud Outcomes.
● Researching, strategy, testing, and shepherding of internationalization and localization functionality through the eTapestry development team in Indianapolis.
● Iterative brainstorm and critique sessions with product teams in Charleston to identify shared features across silos and create common solution sets for the NXT platform.
November 2010 – September 2013
Contributed UX strategy across media delivery platforms within multidisciplinary teams to delightfully meet the needs of Comcast’s nearly 23 million subscribers.
● Provided information architecture and product management facilitation as part of the Emmy award-winning X2 Platform.
● Team lead collaborating with product management, engineering, and QA on the launch of the completely new XFINITY TV Player App for iOS and Android platforms.
● Drove conversations between product management and the user research team to evaluate existing features and UI to find ways to improve the user’s experience and delight.
User Experience/Product Manager
November 2009 – November 2010
Lead the 15-member development team in Montevideo, Uruguay, to create the beta product ultimately released as Indigo.Design.
March 2008 – November 2009
Worked in product development on education administration software for private K-12 schools and small colleges, including web portals for parents, students, and faculty and the school’s web presence.
● Developed a deep understanding of customers’ business and individual needs by assisting in user research activities including persona creation, diagramming workflows and timelines, and heuristic evaluations of Blackbaud software vs. competitors.
● Engaged customers via phone interviews, site visits, training opportunities, and conferences.
● Communicated ideas using prototypes, wireframes, and interactive mock-ups to facilitate understanding of designs and interactions.
● Introduced techniques including storyboards and scenarios in order to better communicate customers’ needs and activities.
● Synthesized findings from usability evaluations to promote software improvements.
High Tech Anthropologist
June 2006 – March 2008
In a hybrid product strategy and user experience role, I conducted user research and product design in an Agile development environment. I utilized methods including activity-centered design, personas, information architecture, use cases, contextual inquiry, and user testing to design software applications for:
● Analytical software for Accuri Flow Cytometers that collects samples and allows for batch analysis.
● Heavy-duty vehicle diagnostics for Nexiq, a leading global developer, manufacturer and marketer of tools.
● Vital records creation, retrieval, archiving, and tracking for Washtenaw County with 350,000 residents.
● Tracking and archiving research for Pfizer, large multinational pharmaceutical company.
● Web-based water utility management for residents of one of Michigan’s largest cities.
● Cell phone-based event ticket purchasing for a local startup.
● Business analysis for website needs of a non-profit that drives life sciences industry growth in Michigan.
Web and Visual Designer
July 2004 – June 2006
Design consultant for web design, HTML and CSS authoring, and print graphic design utilizing content feature analyses for information architecture and information design improvements.
Grace & Wild
October 2004 – March 2006
Assistant Producer and animator for Grace & Wild, the largest full-service creative technical resource in the Midwest at that time.
● Contributed to the animation process with mat creation and product modeling using Maya and AfterEffects for agencies like JWT and Saatchi & Saatchi representing clients like Nissan, Chevrolet, and La-Z-Boy.
● Utilized software such as Maya, QTVRAS, and Director to lay the foundation for creating interactive digital products previously unexplored by the company that allowed people to interact with lifelike 3D models via a web browser to explore product forms and features.
University of Louisville
MBA Entrepreneurship, with Distinction
2016 – 2018
Class President, MBASA 2017 Treasurer, Social Entrepreneurship Club
University of Michigan
BFA Industrial and Product Design
1998 – 2003
Dean’s List 2002, 2003
College for Creative Studies
Animation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics and Effects
2003 – 2004